Music. It’s awesome all year round. But there definitely are some tunes that scream Summer. I mean, I can’t even tell you how many songs have the word “summer” in the title. It’s A LOT. You can’t even Google it, I tried.
So, I’ve come up with my absolute faves for summertime enjoyment…this list is in no particular order. Well, I guess they kind of are if the order is, “What came to my brain first….” order.
Here we go…if you don’t know any of these songs, you should search for them on You Tube and take a listen…and then go download them all and make a CD. Wait, I don’t think people do that anymore…I’m so old.
1. The entire album “Whitney” by Whitney Houston. I spent multiple teenage summers ONLY playing this album. Of course there is “I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)” but, every track is so awesome…”Love is a Contact Sport”, “Where Do Broken Hearts Go?”, “Love Will Save the Day”??? I love it so much, it causes me physical pain thinking about it. I had to buy this on cassette, yes cassette, 3 times. I wore it out.
2. Summertime- Will Smith. I mean, right? “Here it is, a groove, slightly transformed, just a bit of a break from the norm…” I could sing/rap this entire song. I feel like I’m a pretty good rapper for an overweight white chick. Is that okay to say?
3. Cheeseburger in Paradise- Jimmy Buffett. So, I’m not one of those hardcore Jimmy Buffett fans (aka “Parrotheads”)…I don’t tailgate with Hawaiian leis and kiddie pools outside his concerts. But, I enjoy Jimmy Buffett. Especially in summer. Because, it’s all about boating, flip flops and drinking and I’m down with all those things…fo sho.
4. Pretty much any 90’s R&B. SWV, Mary J. Blige, Boyz II Men, Shai, Xscape, oh and Montell Jordan…”This is How We Do It! Na na na na na na na na…This is How We Do It!!” I loved that song because he says, “If you were from where I’m from then you would know, that I gotta get mine in a big black truck you can get yours in a ‘6-4…” and because I had a black GMC Jimmy in high school, that was pretty much a “big black truck” to me, so me and Montell….we were on the same page.
5. “Always Be My Baby” by Mariah Carey off her Daydreams album. I think it was the video for that song, it had a tire swing in it and that just screams summer fun. Even though, if I went somewhere today and there was a chance for me to ride a tire swing, I wouldn’t. As an adult, that sounds awful. Right? The hot rubber? The tire basically ripping your flesh off? No thank you.
6. “Blister in the Sun” By the Violent Femmes off their debut self-titled album. That intro?? Please. Classic summer awesomeness. Again, I know every word. “When I’m walking, I strut my stuff…” I always wondered who “Big Hands” was…
7. Basically anything by Earth, Wind and Fire…but namely “September” and “Shining Star”. Those two songs are so awesome and make me just feel happy inside. “September”, I have claimed in my lifetime to others to be “My Favorite Song.” Just sayin’.
8. “Come on Girls!! Do you believe in love?? Well I’ve got something to say about it and it goes a little something like this!” Yes. Madonna. Like my appreciation for Jimmy Buffett, I’m not a crazy for you Madonna fan (see how I did that there?) but she truly has some great songs for summer. “Lucky Star”, “Borderline”, “Vogue”, “Cherish”?? Yeah. Totally. Or probably my favorite, “Like a Prayer” My best friend in high school and I would cruise the strip at “The Weirs” blasting this song and singing it like we were gospel singers from Georgia. With enthusiasm.
9. Huey Lewis and the News. So awesome. My cousin, who was once a guest blogger for TFC, check it out here, and I LOVE us some HL&TN. “Doing it all for my baby”? “If This is It”? and what Chick R and I refer to as “our” song, “Stuck with You.” They just scream summer. They’re like, all chill and mellow and Huey’s voice is seriously like butter y’all.
10. Justin Timberlake. Some of his songs are more “Fall” or “Winter”, like his I was hurt by you song to ex-Britney Spears, “Cry Me a River”? Definitely not a summer-lovin’ kinda tune. But, “Senorita”, “Rock Your Body”, “Love, Sex & Magic” with Ciara…all songs I’ll definitely blast and roll down the windows to….and when he does that part in “Senorita” where he wants the girls to sing one part and the guys to sing one part?? Yeah. I’ll sing the girls part. With serious ATT-IT-TUDE.
So, I’m leaving it there. 10 suggestions of some pretty awesome summertime music. If you’re reading this and you were born say, after 1994, you’re gonna probably be all like, “Umm….who ARE all these people???” Listen, look them all up. Be cool. Don’t just like music from the last 2 years. Get some knowledge of classics of the past, I promise, you won’t be sorry.
Hey, did I leave something off the list that you think should have been on there? Yes, I know I did, because I could go on and on about good music for days….but, comment below in the appropriately named “Comment Section” and tell me what you think should have made the list!
Trying to keep you informed…