Today is Chick A’s 38th birthday so I decided I needed to write a blog in her honor.
I’m not really sure how she and I became friends. We work at the same company and many years ago were on this God awful committee together (sorry LAC). We also were both really huge fans of The Office and would discuss in great detail the weeks’ episodes. She always had an Office daily calendar, one of those ones where you rip each day off, and each day would have a hilarious quote from the show, so every morning she’d call to read it to me. But even then we weren’t really “friends”, but more work acquaintances. Then one year, probably four or five years ago, this very time of year, she brought me in a birthday present, a bottle of wine (which was so so gross – I’m sorry I never told you that) and a wine glass. This did two things:
- Totally stressed me out. I HATE when people get me birthday presents if I didn’t get them one. It pains me.
- Made me realize that we were headed down the path to a crazy friendship that probably wouldn’t end well. I’m kidding.
Ever since we’ve been two peas in a crazy pod. Here are some things I have learned about Chick A:
- She cries every day. Literally. Tears of sorrow, tears of joy, tears of confusion…whatever the case may be, there are tears of some form. Which is great because I cry maybe three times a year so we’re a really good balance there.
- Her “love language” is gift giving. She buys every.single.person in her life a gift for every occasion. Ever. 4th of July, St. Patrick’s Day, First of Ramadan…if you know Chick A, even the tiniest bit, she will get you a present for all of these.
- Similarly, she sends more greeting cards than anyone I’ve ever known. Just like her gift giving obsession, she sends everyone in her life a card for every event or holiday or Tuesday. Every time we leave work to go out for lunch (which is frequently) she says “We have to find a blue box”. That’s what she calls mailboxes. We always have to plan our outings around her mail schedule. She is slightly nuts about this. Email her your address at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to get on her mailing list. Who doesn’t like getting fun mail??
- Because of her greeting card obsession, Chick A has a plethora of stamps of all denominations. Need a half cent stamp? She’s your girl.
- She love crabs. Not the STD. No no. Not that one. The crustacean (I’m so sorry to admit that I had to Google that. 😦 7th grade science don’t fail me now!!). She and I are both astrological sign cancer which, for those of you who don’t know, is represented by the crab. To quote from astrology.com, “Cancer, the fourth sign of the zodiac, is all about home. Those born under this sign are ‘roots’ kinds of people, and take great pleasure in the comforts of home and family. Cancers are maternal, domestic and love to nurture others.” This is so true of both of us. It’s probably one of the reasons we get along so well. Cancers are also hilarious. Fact.
- She’s met a lot of celebrities. Like a surprising amount. Tom Bergeron, Richard Simmons (what?!), Chyna Phillips, BJ Novak, Nelly Furtado, Blessid Union of Souls, Tommy Heinson, Mike Gorman (we work with him – not the Celtics announcer but a guy named Mike Gorman.), Matt Bonner, and maybe more. I’m tired of typing names of people you may or may not know. Chick A is sort of a big deal.
- She is obsessed with her birthday. The only person who I know more obsessed with their own birthday is my four year old daughter. And me. I’m pretty obsessed with my birthday too. Our birthdays are just one day apart so we get to be obsessed with our birthdays together. Skip, Chick A’s dad, says they are two days a part. We agree to disagree. There is just one full day separating us so that means they are one day apart.
- She loves scarves, purses, headbands, accessories, clothing, shoes, musicals, shopping, talking in funny voices, the Christmas Tree Shop, her friends and family, the beach, the Celtics, TFC, and her dog Sam. Not in that order. I don’t know what order it would go in.
- She hates frogs. She hates them so much. She can’t tell me why but she does. I think there is some sort of traumatic story she is suppressing.
I could go on for days, but then you’d get bored, so I will leave you with the following thoughts: Chick A is amazing. She is so kind, generous, caring, OCD, funny, smart, and positive. You could literally step on her heart (the universe has done this), and she’ll still get up and give you a hug. Everyone in her life is lucky to know her and I guarantee, she has made them laugh at least once. Probably more, but at least once. She’s a keeper.
Heart you Chick A. Happy happy birthday.